- an adherent of royalism; person who supports a monarch or a monarchy, esp. in times of revolution, civil war, etc.
- a supporter of Charles I of England; Cavalier
- a supporter of the British in the American Revolution; Tory
- a supporter of the Bourbons in France
- A supporter of government by a monarch.
- Royalist a. See cavalier.b. An American loyal to British rule during the American Revolution; a Tory.
- a monarchist (supporter of monarchy) or supporter of a particular royal rÃ©gime
- a legitimist, a supporter of a particular royal line, especially one in danger of being dispossessed of a throne or actually dispossessed of such, and claiming to have the better claim to the throne on the basis of line of descent; especially:
- a Cavalier, a supporter of King Charles I of England during the English Civil War
- a supporter of the House of Bourbon, in France since the 18th century and especially during the French Revolution
- a supporter of Ferdinand VII of Spain in Spanish South America during the South American Wars of Independence of the 1810s and 1820s
royal +"Ž -ist