- the act of resisting, opposing, withstanding, etc.
- power or capacity to resist; specif., the ability of an organism to ward off disease
- opposition of some force, thing, etc. to another or others
- a force that retards, hinders, or opposes motion
- [oftenR-] the organized underground movement in a country fighting against a foreign occupying power, a dictatorship, etc., as in France during the Nazi occupation
- the property of a component by which it resists the flow of electricity, usually measured in ohms and equal to the ratio of the voltage to the current: it is the reciprocal of conductance (abbrev. R)
- Psychoanalysis the active psychological opposition to the bringing of unconscious, usually repressed, material to consciousness
Origin of resistanceMiddle English from Middle French resistence from Late Latin resistentia