- The act or an instance of resisting or the capacity to resist.
- A force that tends to oppose or retard motion.
- often Resistance An underground organization engaged in a struggle for national liberation in a country under military or totalitarian occupation.
- Psychology A process in which the ego opposes the conscious recall of anxiety-producing experiences.
- Biology a. Ability (of an organism, tissue, or cell) to withstand a destructive agent or condition such as a chemical compound, a disease agent, or an environmental stressor: antibiotic resistance; resistance to fungal diseases; drought resistance.b. Lack of normal response to a biologically active compound such as a hormone: insulin resistance.
- Electricity The opposition of a body or substance to current passing through it, resulting in a change of electrical energy into heat or another form of energy.
- Thermal resistance.