A lush rainforest.
Rainforest is defined as a dense, green, moist forest with at least 160 inches of rain each year that is mostly found in the tropics.
An example of a rainforest is the Brazilian rainforest.
a dense, evergreen forest, often, specif., one in a tropical region, having abundant rainfall throughout the year
also written rain forest
or rain forest
A dense evergreen forest with a minimum annual rainfall of approximately 180 centimeters (71 inches). Rainforests are found chiefly in the tropics but also occur in temperate regions, where the rainfall amount is somewhat lower.
A dense evergreen forest with an annual rainfall of at least 406 cm (160 inches).
A Closer Look Most of the world's rainforests lie near the equator and have tropical climates. However, cooler rainforests exist in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States and Canada. The world's largest rainforest is located in the Amazon River basin. The Amazon rainforest has been described as the “lungs of our planet” because it continuously recycles carbon dioxide into oxygen, with a significant percentage of the world's atmospheric oxygen being produced in this region. Besides helping to regulate the world's climate, rainforests host an extraordinary diversity of life. Scientists believe that as many as half of the Earth's different species of plants and animals are found only in the rainforests, which take up a mere 7 percent of the world's landmass. By some estimates, more than half of the Earth's original rainforests have already been burned or cut down for timber or grazing land, and more than 130 plant, animal, and insect species are thought to be going extinct daily as a result of the lost habitat. Currently 25 percent of Western pharmaceuticals are derived from tropical rainforest ingredients, and 70 percent of the plants with anticancer properties are found only in this shrinking biome.
- At Kericho we had the opportunity to walk in the Kakamega tropical rainforest, and looked at tea plantation agriculture.
- In contrast, the Tropics exhibit is an elaborate indoor rainforest complete with tropical plants and waterfalls, and it is home to a range of rainforest primates and tropical birds.
- In addition to common concepts such as shapes, sizes, animals, and colors, the Einstein books offer themes on topics such as dreams, rhyming, feelings, poetry, and the rainforest, among others.
- This outlet mall has many anchor stores, including The Sports Authority and JCPenny Outlet Store, and a few specialty anchor business like Harkins Theatres, IMAX and Rainforest Café.
- Chocolate Cups - All of these chocolate cups and the new Signature Series chocolate bars are made from organic cocoa beans certified organic by the USDA and the Rainforest Alliance.