- Mil. an officer whose duty it is to provide troops with quarters, clothing, equipment, etc.
- Naut. a petty officer or mate trained to steer a ship, perform navigational duties, etc.
- An officer responsible for the food, clothing, and equipment of troops.
- A petty officer responsible for the steering of a ship.
- (military) An officer whose duty is to provide quarters, provisions, storage, clothing, fuel, stationery, and transportation for a regiment or other body of troops, and superintend the supplies.
- (nautical) A petty officer who attends to the helm, binnacle, signals, and the like, under the direction of the master.