- a person or thing that qualifies; specif.,
- a person who meets set requirements
- a word, as an adjective or adverb, or a group of words, that modifies or limits the meaning of another word or group of words
- Sports a preliminary round or tournament for determining the contestants who qualify to play in the final round or in another tournament
- One that qualifies, especially one that has or fulfills all appropriate qualifications, as for a position, office, or task.
- Grammar A word or phrase that qualifies, limits, or modifies the meaning of another word or phrase.
- One who qualifies for something, especially a contestant who qualifies for a stage in a competition.
- A preliminary stage of a competition.
- (grammar) A word or phrase, such as an adjective or adverb, that describes or characterizes another word or phrase, such as a noun or verb; a modifier; that adds or subtracts attributes to another.
- (computing, programming) A marker that qualifies or modifies another code element.