Precipitously is defined as sharply or steeply.
An example of precipitously is an easy hike suddenly becoming very steep; precipitously steep.
- Separated from Lycabettus by a depression to the south-west, through which flows a brook, now a covered drain (probably to be identified with the Eridanus), stands the remarkable oblong rocky mass of the Acropolis (512 ft.), rising precipitously on all sides except the western; its summit was partially levelled in prehistoric times, and the flat area was subsequently enlarged by further cutting and by means of retaining walls.
- Maybe we're acting precipitously; as foolish as a kindergartener doing tumble saults.
- On its northern side this mountain group rises ruggedly and precipitously from the Hirschberg valley; but on its southern side its slope towards Bohemia is very much more gradual.
- The citadel, or Acrocorinthus, rising precipitously on the S.
- The northern face of the mountain, overlooking Table Bay, extends like a great wall some two miles in length, and rises precipitously to a height of over 3500 ft.