- anything formed of irregular, incongruous, odd, or miscellaneous parts; jumble
- a quilt or other covering made of patches of cloth, etc. sewn together at their edges
- any design or surface like this
- Needlework consisting of varicolored patches of material sewn together, as in a quilt.
- Something made of miscellaneous or incongruous parts or elements.
(third-person singular simple present patchworks, present participle patchworking, simple past and past participle patchworked)
- To create a patchwork from pieces of fabric
- To assemble from a variety of sources; to cobble together
- Fields of corn and soybean lay in the valleys like patchwork quilts.
- Faust is a patchwork of many colours.
- Multicolored fields of grain and soy beans lay like a patchwork quilt for miles.
- The constitution of 1851 was however chiefly a patchwork of compromises.
- In this patchwork the joins are everywhere still clearly to be recognized.