- to haul over, as for examination
- to check thoroughly for needed repairs
- to make the repairs, adjustments, etc. needed to restore (a motor, etc.) to good working order
- to gain on, catch up with, or overtake
A mechanic overhauls a car.
- An example of overhaul is a mechanic looking over your car to find out what needs to be fixed.
- An example of overhaul is to drive quickly and go beyond a car on the road.
Overhaul is defined as to examine and make necessary repairs, or to catch up with someone or something.
an overhauling; thorough examination or restoration to good working order
transitive verbo·ver·hauled, o·ver·haul·ing, o·ver·hauls
- a. To examine thoroughly and make any needed repairs: overhauled the engine to check for problems.b. To revise extensively: proposals to overhaul the health care system.
- Nautical To slacken (a line) or to release and separate the blocks of (a tackle).
- Chiefly British To catch up with; overtake: overhauled the fugitive after a six-hour chase.
- An act of overhauling.
- A repair job.
- A major repair, remake, renovation, or revision.
- The engine required a complete overhaul to run properly.
- (firefighting) The process after the fire appears extinguished in which the firefighters search the structure for signs of hot spots that may cause the structure to reignite. Often this includes the process of salvage under the blanket term, salvage and overhaul.
(third-person singular simple present overhauls, present participle overhauling, simple past and past participle overhauled)
over- +"Ž haul.
- This design change may also foreshadow the tastes of the upcoming overhaul for the Fiat, which is expected in 2015.
- If your bathroom is getting a complete overhaul, then you'll need to remove all of the fixtures, flooring and light fixtures.If you are only changing out part of the bathroom, it's best to remove all of the items being replaced first.
- Snow White's Scary Adventures: Originally called Snow White's Adventures, this original Disneyland ride didn't even feature the beautiful princess until a 1983 overhaul when she was finally incorporated into the attraction.
- If you are simply giving your existing living room an overhaul, however, your decorating ideas will have to take into account the things in your room that you won't be changing, such as paint colors or wallpaper.
- Credits can, however, buy a company time to make the adjustments because in the short term it may be more practical to purchase credits than undertake a major overhaul of equipment and business purposes.