- with reference to origin, or beginning
- in the first place; initially
- in an independent or new way
- An example of originally is in the first place you wanted to go to the movies, originally wanted to go.
- An example of originally is saying the movie opened with those two characters in a cafe, it originally opened.
Originally is defined as at first or at the beginning.
- With reference to origin: originally named Johnston.
- At first: not what I had originally expected.
- In a highly distinctive manner: interpreted the flute solo most originally.
- As it was in the beginning.
original +"Ž -ly
- The next bridge was on Carlton Road and originally dated back to 1789.
- She was furious and so hurt, she wished she'd jumped into the Grand Canyon like she originally planned.
- "This was originally an extra bedroom when I was a kid," Martha said, pointing out a converted bathroom with a metal walk-in shower.
- "If I had that originally, Wynn couldn't have almost killed me and I wouldn't be here now," she murmured.
- You're a human mate, or were originally, which means I can't hurt you.