- (literally) Displayed on the dial of a clock (timepiece).
- (idiomatic) Working at one's job; occupied in some manner during one's hours of remunerated employment.
- (idiomatic) Of a taxicab, engaged for hire; displayed numerically as time or fare on the meter of a taxicab.
- (sports) In the official time remaining in a game or other sporting event.
- (sports) In the official time expired in a game or other sporting event.
- (of a motor vehicle) Displayed numerically on the mileage or kilometric gauge.
- Remunerated per unit of time.
- Alas, the delivery boy is on the clock; he could and would work much faster on commission!