- a woman, esp. an older woman, who has never married; spinster: a mild term of contempt
- a prim, prudish, fussy person
- a simple card game played with a deck containing one card with no match, the loser being the player left with that card after all the others have been paired
old maidold maid
- Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a woman who is no longer young and has not married.
- Informal A person regarded as being primly fastidious.
- Games a. A card game in which players match cards into pairs using a deck that has an odd number of cards. The player who holds the unmatched card at the end loses.b. The loser of this game.
(plural old maids)
- (pejorative) An old woman who has never married; a spinster.
- If she is looking for the perfect man before she marries, she'll be an old maid.
- A particular kind of periwinkle.
- A particular kind of zinnia.
- An unpopped kernel in a batch of popped popcorn kernels.
- A card game in which cards must be paired and one undesirable card is designated "old maid".
- An unpaired card in that game.
- A children's card game, sometimes played with a special deck, where the object of the game is for each player to find matches for all the cards in his hand, without being stuck with the single unmatchable card.
- The only card games I know are Go Fish and Old Maid.
- The unmatchable card itself.
- The Joker will serve as the Old Maid.