- anyone elected or appointed to an office or position of authority in a government, business, institution, society, etc.
- a police officer or constable
- a person appointed to a position of authority in the armed forces; specif., commissioned officer
- the captain or any of the mates of a merchant ship
- in certain honorary societies, a member of any grade above the lowest
Origin of officerMiddle English from Anglo-French and Old French officier from Medieval Latin officiarius from Classical Latin officium, office
- to provide with officers
- to command; direct; manage