An example of to nail is joining two pieces of wood together while building a table.
An example of a nail is what would be cared for and painted during a manicure.
Nail up a window.
Fear nailed me to my seat.
The gymnast nailed her routine.
An example of a nail is what someone would hammer into the wall in order to hang a picture.
- Callous, unfeeling, remorseless, etc.
- To do or say whatever is exactly right or to the point.
- To fasten tightly with nails.
- To settle definitely; clinch.
- To fasten with nails to a wall or at some height.
- To fasten (a door, window, etc.) tightly with nails.
Origin of nail
- Middle English from Old English nægl fingernail, toenail nogh- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition