Origin of mumGerman mumme: said to be named after Christian Mumme, 15th-c. German brewer
- Mum means not talking.
An example of mum is a person sitting quietly in the corner; a mum person.
- Mum is defined as a way to request that someone stop talking.
An example of mum is what a librarian would tell someone talking on their cell phone in a library: "Mum. No talking please."
- The definition of a mum is a strong beer, a shorter way of referencing the flower chrysanthemum or a British term for mother.
- An example of a mum is a beer originally brewed in Brunswick, Germany.
- An example of a mum is a flower brewed for tea in Asia.
- An example of a mum is how a British teenager would refer to his mom.
- Mum is defined as to act as a mime or wear a mask to a festival.
- An example of mum is to act without talking such as the performances which made Marcel Marceau famous.
- An example of mum is wearing a disquise over your face for a costume party.
intransitive verbmummed, mum′ming
Origin of mumfrom Old French momer from momo, echoic for grimace (as in Spanish momo)
Origin of mumMiddle English momme, echoic of sound made with the lips closed
mum's the word
Origin of mumMiddle English mom, mum perhaps imitative of closing one's lips
intransitive verbmummed, mum·ming, mums
- To act or play in a pantomime.
- To go merrymaking in a mask or disguise especially during a festival.
Origin of mumMiddle English mummen from Old French momer to wear a mask
Origin of mumShort for mummy 2
Origin of mumGerman Mumme
- One's mother
- I wish Mum and Dad didn't argue so much.
- Fred continued to be mum about the trial.
- After the obligatory shower, fresh clothes and a hearty supper, the tired body was beginning to revive, as long as the mind kept mum about tomorrow's 90 miles and the 10,850foot climb up Wolfe Creek Pass.
- This page gives an overview of all articles in the 1911 Brittanica which are alphabetized under Mum to Mza.
- Instead I should be ashamed of myself for not telling Gibbons to be mum about our looking for the guy.
- Dean learned why Fred was mum on the subject when he discovered an airline ticket in the old man's jacket.