- (slang, Ireland, pejorative) Fool; idiot; annoying or contemptible person (usually male).
- (slang, Ireland, vulgar) Penis.
- Originally and mainly restricted to County Cork
Uncertain. Suggestions include:
- from langur monkeys, via the Munster Fusiliers regiment stationed in India
- from languor
- from lang, variant of long
- from "on the lang", supposed variant of on the lam
- from leangaire, a word in Cnósach Focal ó Bhaile Bhúirne, a dictionary of the Muskerry Gaeltacht. It means an unusually long slender salmon.
- A surname.
From the German surname Langer "a tall man".