- the hard, white substance, a form of dentin, that makes up the tusks of elephants, walruses, etc.
- dentin in any form
- any substance like ivory in appearance, use, etc.
- the color of ivory; creamy white
- a tusk of an elephant, walrus, etc.
- [pl.] things made of ivory
- [pl.]Slang things resembling or suggesting ivory; specif.,
- piano keys
- billiard balls
Origin of ivoryMiddle English from Old French yvoire from Classical Latin eboreus (adj.) from ebur (gen. eboris), ivory from Egyptian ?bw, elephant, ivory
- of, made of, or like ivory
tickle the ivories