- an insuring or being insured against loss
- a system of protection against loss in which a number of individuals agree to pay certain sums (premiums) periodically for a guarantee that they will be compensated under stipulated conditions for any specified loss by fire, accident, death, etc.
- a contract guaranteeing such protection: usually called insurance policy: see policy, sense
- the premium specified for such a contract
- the amount for which life, property, etc. is insured
- the business of insuring against loss
Origin of insuranceearlier ensurance from Old French enseurance: see ensure