- an insulating or being insulated
- any material used to insulate
A man installs insulation in a building.
Fiberglass put into the walls of a house and into the attic in order to keep warm air in and cold air out during the winter months is an example of insulation.
- The act of insulating or the state of being insulated.
- A material or substance used in insulating: soundproof cork insulation; a layer of trapped air that serves as insulation.
(countable and uncountable, plural insulations)
- The act of insulating, or the state of being insulated; detachment from other objects; isolation.
- Any of a variety of materials designed to reduce the flow of heat, either from or into a building.
- (engineering) The act of separating a body from others by nonconductors, so as to prevent the transfer of electricity, heat, or sound
- (engineering) The state of a body so separated.
- (electrical) a medium in which it is possible to maintain an electrical field with little supply of energy from additional sources.
insulation - Computer Definition
The dielectric material that surrounds a metal conductor and prevents it from touching another conductor or the ground and, thereby, shorting the circuit. Insulation typically is made of some sort of plastic material. Inside wire and cable standards vary according to the applications, but generally favor insulation that is characterized as low flame-spread, low-smoke, and low-toxicity.
- The Evershed and Vignoles form of the instrument is much used in testing the insulation resistance of electric wiring in houses.
- In this case one terminal of the battery is connected to the earth, and the other terminal is connected through the galvanometer with the copper wire, the insulation of which it is desired to test.
- In 1140 a Benedictine monastery was founded here by Ralph Boteler of Oversley, and received the name of the Church of Our Lady of the Isle, owing to its insulation by a moat meeting the river Arrow.
- The old farm house had been wrapped in insulation and sided.
- The same insulation is used for the floors and FIG.