- a nonconductor of electricity, heat, or sound
- a device, as of glass or porcelain, for insulating and supporting electric wires
These headphones serve as an insulator.
- Soundproofing material is an example of an insulator.
- A substance that doesn't conduct electricity well is an example of an insulator.
- A material that insulates, especially a nonconductor of sound, heat, or electricity.
- A device that insulates.
- A substance that does not transmit heat (thermal insulator), sound (acoustic insulator) or electricity (electrical insulator).
- A non-conductive structure, coating or device that does not transmit sound, heat or electricity (see image)
- To isolate electrical wires from the pylons supporting them, one often uses glass insulators.
From insulate 'to isolate' (itself from Latin insula 'island') + suffix -or