- Not straight; deviating; roundabout.
- Not straight to the point, or to the person or thing aimed at.An indirect reply.
- Not straightforward; not fair and open; dishonest.indirect dealing.
- Not immediate; secondary.An indirect result.
An example of indirect is a flight that goes from Los Angeles to Denver in order to get to Seattle; an indirect flight.
An example of indirect is a teenager who says they're staying over at a friend's house when they're really going to a party at a friend's house; an indirect answer.
Origin of indirect
- From Middle French indirect, from Late Latin indirectus