- the fact or quality of being human; human nature
- [pl.] human qualities or characteristics, esp. those considered desirable
- the human race; mankind; people
- the fact or quality of being humane; kindness, mercy, sympathy, etc.
Origin of humanityMiddle English humanite from Old French from Classical Latin humanitas
- languages and literature, esp. those of the classical Greeks and Romans
- the branches of learning concerned with human thought and relations, as distinguished from the sciences: literature, philosophy, history, etc.