the hard, nonliving, older wood at the core of a tree trunk, usually dark in color and impervious to air and water; duramen
The older, nonliving central wood of a tree or shrub, usually darker and harder than the younger sapwood. Also called duramen .
The older, nonliving central wood of a tree or woody plant, usually darker and harder than the younger sapwood. Unlike the sapwood, it no longer conducts water, and its main function is the support of the tree.
- Heartwood Guitar - Heartwood Guitar is a great site that has tons of great free chords for some of the most popular songs around.
- Heartwood Guitar - Heartwood Guitar is a clean, well-organized site that provides easy to read, accurate transcriptions.
- Older wood is more potent than newly formed cedar, making the heartwood the most desirable part for exterior use.
- The wood when young is white, but old heartwood is yellow or brownish.
- The heartwood varies in colour from dark brown to pale yellowishbrown; hard, close-grained, and little liable to split accidentally, it is, for a hard wood, easy to work.