The definition of a has-been is a person or thing that used to be popular or helpful.
An example of a has-been is a once famous actor who no one has heard about in decades.
Informal a person or thing that was formerly popular or effective but is no longer so: a dismissive term
nounpl. has-beens Informal
One that is no longer famous, popular, successful, or useful.
- Typically said of professionals or celebrities whose prime is behind them.
- The Surreal Life - A show where has-been celebrities live together in one house for two weeks completing challenges and achieving one ultimate goal together.
- Nighy starred as Bill Mack, the has-been pop star in the romantic comedy Love Actually.
- Just after the world thought that pop princess Britney Spears had fizzled into a has-been, she showed up on the list at Wondrous.com that states her 2010 earnings to have been $64 million.
- I'm a bitch and a middle-aged has-been.