hard drivehard drive
A computer hard drive.
An example of a hard drive is the location on a desktop computer where a person could save their research paper.
hard drive - Computer Definition
The primary computer storage device, which spins, reads and writes one or more fixed disk platters. The terms "hard drive" and "hard disk" are synonymous; however, a "drive" technically refers to the entire unit that holds one or more "disk" platters. The word "hard" came about to refer to the rigid platters made of aluminum or glass in contrast to floppy disks made of flexible plastic. See hard disk and floppy disk.
- Similar conditions apply for portable movie players, be them DVD or hard-drive based.
- Buying office software requires matching your computer's capability or engine, determined by the type and speed of its processor, and resident horsepower, or the amount of random-access memory (RAM) combined with hard-drive space storage.
- In a game update that was released in July 2005 for Halo 2, the developers have included software that scans for "modded" Halo content on the Xbox hard-drive.
- A detachable 20 gig hard-drive is upgradeable and it can handle memory units starting at 64 MB.
- Make sure you have enough space on your hard-drive for your downloads.