Origin of GermanyClassical Latin Germania
(plural Germanies or Germanys)
- The country in Central Europe of which Berlin is the current and historical capital city. Current official name: Federal Republic of Germany (Bundesrepublik Deutschland).
- (countable, historical, in reference to any period when Germany was not united) A German state; any of several German states, such as the German Democratic Republic, Saxony, etc, usually excluding Austria. (in the plural) Several or all of these states, taken together.
- (countable) A or the German state at a particular time.
- The Germany of his children was not the Germany of his forefathers.
- One Germany faded and another emerged.