- freedom of decision or of choice between alternatives
- the freedom of the will to choose a course of action without external coercion but in accordance with the ideals or moral outlook of the individual
- the doctrine that people have such freedom
free willfree will
- The ability or discretion to choose; free choice: chose to remain behind of my own free will.
- The power of making choices that are neither determined by natural causality nor predestined by fate or divine will.
Origin of free willMiddle English fre wil translation of Late Latin līberum arbitrium Latin līberum neuter of līber free Latin arbitrium will