- of, charged with, or conducting electricity: an electric wire
- producing, or produced by, electricity: an electric generator
- operated by electricity: an electric iron
- made or designed to generate sound primarily through electronic amplification: said of certain musical instruments: electric guitar, bass, etc.
- very tense or exciting; electrifying
- designating a color that is very bright or metallic: electric blue
Origin of electricModern Latin electricus (coined, 1600, by William Gilbert), literally , produced from amber by rubbing from ML, of amber from Classical Latin electrum, amber, electrum from Classical Greek ?lektron, akin to ?lekt?r, shining, the sun from uncertain or unknown; perhaps