A city devastated by an earthquake.
- When a hurricane leaves a city in ruins, this is an example of devastation.
- When you feel extremely sad after your spouse dies, your feelings are an example of devastation.
The definition of devastation is severe destruction or a state of severe grief or sadness.
a devastating or being devastated; destruction; desolation
OriginSee also: dévastation
From Middle French dévastation.
- But on the whole there was no ruinous devastation of the land.
- Finally, after months of inaction, Ibrahim began once more his systematic devastation of the country.
- Delavigne, inspired by the catastrophe of 1815, wrote two impassioned poems, the first entitled Waterloo, the second, Devastation du musee, both written in the heat of patriotic enthusiasm, and teeming with popular political allusions.
- Some of the plays seem to have bordered on the political, as The Plunderings, describing the devastation of Sicily in the time of the poet.
- They flew over the Peak, and she straightened to see the devastation in the moonlight.