- plural form of custom
- The Ancient Egyptian culture had many distinctive and interesting beliefs and customs.
- (plural only) The duties or taxes imposed on imported or exported goods.
- We had to pay customs of Â£200 on all the wine we took back from France.
- (singular) The government department or agency that is authorised to collect the taxes imposed on imported goods.
- We got pulled over by customs on our way back from France - we only had 200 bottles of wine - it was so unfair.
customs - Legal Definition
- Taxes imposed on imports and exports; the United States Constitution prohibits Congress from imposing taxes on goods exported from a state. Also called duties.
- The agency or procedure for collecting such taxes, or the place where they are collected.