The definition of courageous is showing courage and being brave.
An example of courageous is a soldier who saves another soldier in the face of danger.
Having or characterized by courage; valiant. See Synonyms at brave.
(comparative more courageous, superlative most courageous)
- Of a person, displaying or possessing courage.
- the most courageous man I have ever met
- Of an action, that requires courage.
- a courageous deed
Old French corageus, from corage + -eus
- Squirrels are restless, courageous and pugnacious little animals.
- You're a very resourceful and courageous person.
- I hope I shall be courageous always.
- Stanton had a violent temper and a sharp tongue, but he was courageous, energetic, thoroughly honest and a genuine patriot.
- He was handsome and eloquent, but licentious; and at the same time active, hardy, courageous, a great general and an able politician.