- a small administrative district of a country; esp.,
- the largest local administrative subdivision of most states of the U.S.
- any of the chief administrative districts into which England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Ireland are divided
- an administrative district in certain Canadian provinces
- an electoral district in rural New Zealand
- the people living in a county
- Obs. the region governed by a count or earl
Origin of countyMiddle English counte from Old French conté from Medieval Latin comitatus, jurisdiction of a count or earl from Classical Latin comes: see count