(third-person singular simple present coughs up, present participle coughing up, simple past and past participle coughed up)
- to expel from the lungs, throat, etc. by coughing
- He was coughing up blood.
- (idiomatic) to pay money, to disburse, usually reluctantly or with difficulty.
- Do you think he'll be able to cough up the three grand by Tuesday?
- (idiomatic) to lose a competition by one's own mistakes, usually near the end of the contest
- That team had the game won, but they coughed it up in the end.
- (idiomatic) To spill, to fumble