- a person or thing that compensates
- any of various devices or circuits used to correct or offset some disturbing action, as speed deviations in a moving system or excessive current in a circuit
- (literally) A party or thing which compensates, pays or otherwise provides a compensation
- Any device used to compensate for something, notably to achieve a better balance
- A building control device used to deliver the compensation relationship or curve between the air temperature outside a building and the temperature of water or air provided to spaces or zones within the building for purposes of heating or cooling.
- Compensators ensure less heat is provided to a room on a warmer day. They may be implemented mechanically, electronically or in software.
- (nautical) One of several small magnets placed in the binnacle to neutralize the effect of the ship's metal on the compass