A Cluniac monastery was founded in 1082, and Bermondsey Cross became a favoured place of pilgrimage.
Under the influence of the Cluniac revival, which began in the 10th century, pilgrimages became increasingly frequent; and the goal of pilgrimage was often Jerusalem.
William adopted the Cluniac programme of ecclesiastical reform, and obtained the support of Rome for his English expedition by assuming the attitude of a crusader against schism and corruption.
It was again deserted after the Conquest until Roger de Montgomery founded a house of the Cluniac order on its site.
Souvigny possesses the church of a famous Cluniac priory dating from the 11th-12th and 15th centuries, and containing the splendid tombs (15th century) of Louis II.