See also bathing.ablutomania an abnormal desire to wash, especially the hands. asepsis 1. absence of bacteria of a harmful nature. 2. the techniques of achieving this condition. —aseptic, adj. automysophobia an abnormal fear of being dirty. blennophobia an abnormal fear or dislike of slime. Also called myxophobia. bromidrosiphobia an abnormal fear of having an unpleasant body odor. coprophobia an abnormal fear of feces. elutriation the process of elutriating, or purification by washing and straining. immaculacy freedom fromstainor blemish. —immaculate, adj. mysophobia an abnormal fear or dislike of dirt. myxophobia blennophobia. sudarium 1. a cloth or handkerchief for wiping sweat from the face. 2. a sudatorium. sudatorium a room where a sweat bath is taken. Also called sudarium.
The definition of cleanliness means the state of being free from dirt or unwanted matter.
An example of cleanliness is bathing and brushing one's teeth twice a day.
cleanly +"Ž -ness
- The exemption was attributed to cleanliness and good drainage.
- The restaurant staff made sure that cleanliness was a priority in their kitchen.
- The same old stateliness, the same cleanliness, the same stillness reigned there, and inside there was the same furniture, the same walls, sounds, and smell, and the same timid faces, only somewhat older.
- Fran wished to raise her boys to have a high standard of cleanliness.
- Cereal pests can only be treated by general cleanliness and good farming, and of course they are largely kept down by the rotation of crops.