- designating a collar, as on a shirt, having points fastened by small buttons to the front of the garment
- conservative, conventional, etc.: a button-down mindalso but′toned-down·
A man wearing a button-down shirt.
- The definition of button-down is having buttons fastened to the fabric on the collar of a shirt or being conservative or traditional.
- An example of button-down is the style of many business work shirts.
- An example of button-down is a person who follows tradition.
- A button-down is defined as a shirt that has a collar fastened to the fabric with buttons.
An example of button-down is a shirt that one often wears to an interview under a suit jacket.
a shirt with a button-down collar
- Having buttons extending down the front from the collar to the waist: a button-down shirt.
- Fastened down by buttons: a button-down collar.
- also but·toned-down Conservative, conventional, or unimaginative: “a colorful character in the buttoned-down, dull-gray world of business” ( Newsweek )
A button-down shirt.
- Alternative spelling of button-down.
- Formal clothing: In most cases, you'll probably hold off on purchasing formal clothing until the occasion arises, but easy church outfits could include a few button-down shirts or polos and a couple of pairs of khakis and navy pants.
- Khaki button-down long-sleeved or short-sleeved shirts are worn over cotton t-shirts, usually open at the collar (unless the ranger is working in an office, in which case a khaki tie with a brass tie-tack would be appropriate).
- This has led to many styles of microfiber shirt lines - from the simple t-shirt offered by Silver Eagle Outfitters to the Hemisphere short-sleeve button-down shirt from TravelSmith, one of the biggest microfiber retailers.
- The short sleeved button-down style is also very popular with travelers, especially since some (like Travelsmith's "Trip'r" line) incorporate UV protection and specially-designed pockets useful for tickets and other gear.
- Unlike other fabrics, fleece is not usually blended with spandex, so there is no extra "give." If you are unsure of your size, choose a size larger than what you would wear in a button-down shirt style.