- country in Central America, on the Caribbean: formerly a British colony & territory, it became independent & a member of the Commonwealth (1981): 8,867 sq mi (22,966 sq km); cap. Belmopan
- seaport on the coast of this countryalso called Belize City
- A country of Central America on the Caribbean Sea. Originally inhabited by the Maya, the region was settled by the British beginning in 1638 and was established as the crown colony of British Honduras in 1862. It became self-governing in 1964, adopted the name Belize in 1973, and gained independence in 1981. Belmopan is the capital.x
- also Belize City The largest city of Belize, in the eastern part of the country on the Caribbean Sea at the mouth of the Belize River. It was devastated by a hurricane in 1961. The capital was moved from here to Belmopan in 1970.x
OriginSee also: Bélize
- From cruise deals to destinations like Tahiti, Bora Bora or Belize, there are plenty of places to from in their travel destinations.
- Their voyages take part on large cruise ships and travel to popular destinations, including the Grand Cayman Islands, Mexico, Belize and Honduras.
- Itineraries vary, but ports of call include George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; and Progreso, Yucatan.
- Belize occupies both banks of the river Belize, at its mouth.
- Belize is connected by telegraph and telephone with the other chief towns of British Honduras, but there is no railway, and communication even by road is defective.