thinly populated and largely undeveloped land far from cities and towns; hinterland
in, from, or characteristic of backcountry
- A usually uninhabited area inaccessible by roads or by regular public transportation: The hikers bought lightweight camping gear for use in the backcountry.
- A sparsely inhabited rural region: “the lean-muscled, laconic hero from the backcountry who comes strolling down Main Street while the townsfolk point and whisper” ( Daniel Coyle )
(countable and uncountable, plural backcountries)
- A remote region; the boondocks.
- When hiking and camping in the backcountry, it's essential to take foods that don't require refrigeration or preparation, and that are as light as possible for ease of portage.
- Backcountry: A website specializing in outdoor and active clothing, Backcountry offers a wide selection of girls' down parkas in girls' sizes and in toddler and baby sizes.
- If you are interested in learning freestyle or backcountry skiing, keep in mind that while they use some different techniques, each of these styles is based on the basics of alpine skiing.
- Amenities and facilities vary by park, with many locations providing backcountry camping, improved tent and RV camping, cabins, and even full service lodging options.
- Copper Mountain has two claims to fame; its totally separate beginner, intermediate and advanced skiing areas and its free cat skiing into the backcountry bowls.