- having no use; unserviceable; worthless
- to no purpose; ineffectual; of no avail
This umbrella is useless.
An umbrella that does not keep you dry is an example of something that would be described as useless since it serves no purpose.
- a. Being or having no beneficial use; ineffective: This pen is useless because it's out of ink. See Synonyms at futile.b. Having no purpose or reason; pointless; to no avail: It's useless to argue over matters of taste.
- Incapable of acting or functioning effectively; ineffectual or inept: He panics easily and is useless in an emergency.
(comparative uselesser or more useless, superlative uselessest or most useless)
- Without use or possibility to be used.
- This fork has prongs that are bent. It's useless now.
- Unhelpful, not useful; pointless (of an action).
- I think it's useless to keep this discussion going. It's like talking to a wall.
- I tried my best to make him quit smoking, but my efforts were useless. He now smokes six packs a day.
- (pejorative, of a person) good-for-nothing; not dependable.
- Bill never mows the lawn, takes out the trash or anything. He's useless, but I love him anyways.
- (colloquial, of a person) unable to do well at a particular task or thing. Useless is mildly insulting.
- My brother is useless at most computer games, but he is an awesome PS2 player.
- Why do you keep trying? You're obviously useless at it.
- As strong as he was, it would be useless to resist.
- The symbols were useless to him.
- It's useless to dwell on what might've been.
- She suggested he take the cell phone but then remembered it was useless in the high mountains.
- A piece of cotton wool soaked in strong carbolic acid will relieve the pain of dental caries, but is useless in other forms of toothache.