- an offending; specif.,
- the act of breaking a law; sin or crime; transgression
- the act of creating resentment, hurt feelings, displeasure, etc.
- the condition of being offended, esp. of feeling hurt, resentful, or angry; umbrage
- Rare something that causes sinning or wrongdoing
- something that causes resentment, anger, etc.
- the act of attacking or assaulting; aggression
- the person, army, etc. that is attacking
- a team when it is attempting to score against an opponent in any contest
- the ability to score against an opposing team
- the strategy, plays, etc. used in attempting to score against an opposing team
Origin of offenseMiddle English from Middle French from Classical Latin offensa from past participle of offendere: see offend