A little girl behaving in a very ladylike manner.
Crossing your legs gently at the ankles in a proper feminine way is an example of behavior that would be described as ladylike.
- Characteristic of a well-mannered woman or girl who adheres to traditional norms of propriety and femininity: “As soon as boys can walk they are encouraged to do sports, while rambunctious girls are urged to be more ladylike” ( Steve Olson )
- Appropriate to such a woman or girl, as in being restrained or delicate: “She ate a small, ladylike forkful of her mashed potatoes” ( Martha Southgate )
(comparative more ladylike, superlative most ladylike)
lady + -like
- There is a definite art to making sure your tattoo is as ladylike as you are, but picking the right artist won't necessarily ensure you get the feminine look you seek in a tattoo.
- You might opt for a ladylike camisole to bring a sexy twist to your look, or you might take a peek at the handkerchief halter top for a fresh take on warm-weather wear.
- The kiss-lock closure gives it a ladylike edge, while the unique tiered design brings a fresh vibe to an otherwise traditional leather bag.
- The Kate Spade range of white couture wedding shoes is perfect for women who are searching for something timeless, dainty and ladylike.
- To create the ladylike style that was definitive in the 1950's, make sure you have a formal hairstyle paired with your elegant costume.