- a quick, sharp recoil
- any sudden or violent reaction; specif., strong political or social reaction resulting from fear or resentment of a movement, candidate, etc.
- a snarl in a reeled fishing line, resulting from an imperfect cast
- the jarring reaction of loose or worn parts; also, the play in these parts
- The definition of backlash is an intense or sudden reaction.
If the response of the public to the politicians' actions was to stage huge protests, then that would be an example of a backlash.
- Backlash is defined as a quick, strong backward movement.
A gun that snaps back when it is fired is an example of a backlash.
- A sudden or violent backward whipping motion.
- An antagonistic reaction to a trend, development, or event: “As the backlash against divorce progressed, state legislatures … called for a rollback of no-fault divorce laws and even for premarital waiting periods” ( Walter Kirn )
- A snarl formed in the part of a fishing line that is wound around the reel.
- The play resulting from loose connections between gears or other mechanical elements.
- A sudden backward motion.
- A reaction, objection or outcry, especially of a violent or abrupt nature.
- The public backlash to the proposal was quick and insistent.
- (mechanics) The distance through which one part of connected machinery, as a wheel, piston, or screw, can be moved without moving the connected parts, resulting from looseness in fitting or from wear.
- The jarring or reflex motion caused in badly fitting machinery by irregularities in velocity or a reverse of motion.
(third-person singular simple present backlashes, present participle backlashing, simple past and past participle backlashed)
- To cause or set off a backlash.
- (The addition of quotations indicative of this usage is being sought):
- There was an inevitable backlash of incredulity.
- Given the popularity and public backlash of the show, you can bet that any Jersey Shore book will be equally as popular and equally as despised.
- After listening to the backlash and public outcries about his decision for days, John Rich posted an explanation "Why I Picked Julio as the Winner" on the CMT website.
- It is impossible to say whether the children felt that way, but the wave of popularity of talent contests is beginning to have a bit of backlash.
- This has generally been regarded as backlash from the "Saturday Night Live" performance, but some maintain that it was just a reaction of her poor singing.