- The zoo is a place where animals are kept so that people may come and see them.
The San Diego Zoo is a famous example of a zoo.
- The definition of a zoo is defined as a place that is hectic and lacking order.
An elementary school playground is an example of a zoo.
A father and son at the zoo.
zoo definition by Webster's New World
- a place where wild animals are kept for public showing
- a collection of wild animals
- Slang a place, or the people in that place, variously regarded as lacking order, discipline, refinement, etc.
Origin: ; from zoo(logical garden)
- animal, animals: zoology
- zoology and: zoogeography
Origin: ; from Classical Greek zōion, an animal: see bio-
zoo definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. zoos
- A park or an institution in which living animals are kept and usually exhibited to the public. Also called zoological garden.
- Slang A place or situation marked by confusion or disorder: The bus station is a zoo on Fridays.
Origin: Short for zoological garden.
- Animal; animal kingdom: zoography.
- Motile: zoospore.
Origin: Greek zōo-, zōio-, from zōion, living being; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.
zoo - Computer Definition
A freeware compression program, including source code, used in Unix, DOS and other environments.
zoo - Medical Definition