- The zoo is a place where animals are kept so that people may come and see them.
The San Diego Zoo is a famous example of a zoo.
- The definition of a zoo is defined as a place that is hectic and lacking order.
An elementary school playground is an example of a zoo.
A father and son at the zoo.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a place where wild animals are kept for public showing
- a collection of wild animals
- Slang a place, or the people in that place, variously regarded as lacking order, discipline, refinement, etc.
Origin: from zoo(logical garden)
- animal, animals: zoology
- zoology and: zoogeography
Origin: from Glassical Greek zōion, an animal: see bio-
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. zoos
- A park or an institution in which living animals are kept and usually exhibited to the public. Also called zoological garden.
- Slang A place or situation marked by confusion or disorder: The bus station is a zoo on Fridays.
Origin: Short for zoological garden.
- Animal; animal kingdom: zoography.
- Motile: zoospore.
Origin: Greek zōo-, zōio-, from zōion, living being; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.
zoo - Computer Definition
A freeware compression program, including source code, used in Unix, DOS and other environments.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
zoo - Medical Definition