aquarium[ə kwer′ē əm]
Children visiting an aquarium.
- The definition of an aquarium is a container that holds marine plants and animals, or a building where exhibits of marine plants and animals are set up for visitors to view.
- An example of an aquarium is a fish tank.
- An example of an aquarium would be the fish exhibit in a zoo.
nounpl. a·quar·i·ums or a·quar·i·a
- A tank, bowl, or other water-filled enclosure in which living fish or other aquatic animals and plants are kept.
- A place for the public exhibition of live aquatic animals and plants.
Origin of aquariumLatin aquārium, source of water, from neuter of aquārius, of water, from aqua, water; see akw-ā- in Indo-European roots.
(plural aquaria or aquariums)