Children visiting an aquarium.
- An example of an aquarium is a fish tank.
- An example of an aquarium would be the fish exhibit in a zoo.
The definition of an aquarium is a container that holds marine plants and animals, or a building where exhibits of marine plants and animals are set up for visitors to view.
nounpl. -·i·ums or -·ia
- a tank, usually with glass sides, or a pool, bowl, etc. for keeping live water animals and water plants
- a building where such collections are exhibited
Origin of aquariumL, watering place for cattle, neuter of aquarius, of water from aqua, water
nounpl. a·quar·i·ums, or a·quar·i·a
- A tank, bowl, or other water-filled enclosure in which living fish or other aquatic animals and plants are kept.
- A place for the public exhibition of live aquatic animals and plants.
Origin of aquariumLatin aquārium source of water from neuter of aquārius of water from aqua water ; see akw-ā- in Indo-European roots.
(plural aquaria or aquariums)