The definition of a menagerie is an odd or eclectic assortment of things, or a collection of animals that are kept to be exhibited.noun
- An odd and eclectic collection of books and trinkets is an example of a menagerie.
- A zoo with a variety of different animals is an example of a menagerie.
- a collection of wild or strange animals kept in cages or enclosures for exhibition
- a place where such animals are kept
Origin: Fr ménagerie < ménage: see ménage
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A collection of live wild animals on exhibition.b. An enclosure in which wild animals are kept.
- A diverse or miscellaneous group.
Origin: French ménagerie, from Old French mesnage, ménage; see menage .