- The definition of a menagerie is an odd or eclectic assortment of things, or a collection of animals that are kept to be exhibited.
- An odd and eclectic collection of books and trinkets is an example of a menagerie.
- A zoo with a variety of different animals is an example of a menagerie.
- a collection of wild or strange animals kept in cages or enclosures for exhibition
- a place where such animals are kept
Origin of menagerieFrench ménagerie ; from ménage: see ménage
- a. A collection of live wild animals on exhibition.b. The place where such animals are kept.
- A diverse or miscellaneous group.
Origin of menagerieFrench ménagerie, from Old French mesnage, ménage; see ménage.