- Within is defined as inside, indoors or not beyond a certain limit.
An example of within is milk being inside the refrigerator.
within definition by Webster's New World
- in or into the interior; on the inside; internally
- inside the body, mind, heart, etc.; inwardly
Origin: Middle English withinne ; from Old English withinnan ; from with, with plush innan, within, into ; from in, in
- in the inner part of; inside
- not beyond in distance, time, degree, range, scope, etc.: within a mile, withinone's experience
- inside the limits of: within the law
within definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- In or into the inner part; inside.
- Inside the mind, heart, or soul; inwardly.
- In the inner part or parts of; inside: resentment seething within him.
- a. Inside the limits or extent of in time or distance: arrived within two days; stayed within earshot; within ten miles of home.b. Inside the fixed limits of; not beyond: lived within her income.c. In the scope or sphere of: acted within the law; within the medical profession.d. Inside a specified amount or degree: The team had pulled to within five points of winning.
Origin: Middle English withinne, from Old English withinnan : with, with; see with + innan, from within (from in, in; see in1).