- a system of reservoirs, pumps, pipes, etc., used to bring a water supply to a town or city
- a pumping station in such a system, with its machinery, filters, etc.
- Slang tears: usually in turn on the waterworks, to shed tears; weep
- a. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The water system, including reservoirs, tanks, buildings, pumps, and pipes, that supplies water to a city, town, or other municipality.b. (used with a sing. verb) A single unit, such as a pumping station, within such a system.
- (used with a sing. verb) An exhibition of moving water, such as a fountain or cascade.
- (used with a pl. verb) Informal Tears: turned on the waterworks.
- (in the singular) the water supply system of a town etc., including reservoirs, pumps and pipes
- (in the singular) any single facility, such as a filtration plant, within such a system
- (informal, in the plural) tears
- She turned on the waterworks when we told her the old man was dead, but she was asking questions about the will soon enough.
- (informal, in the plural) the genitourinary system