An example of virtually used as an adverb is in the sentence, "The entire town was virtually destroyed," which means the entire town was almost entirely destroyed.
- In fact or to all purposes; practically: The city was virtually paralyzed by the transit strike.
- Almost but not quite; nearly: “Virtually everyone gets a headache now and then” ( People )
(comparative more virtually, superlative most virtually)
- Almost but not quite.
- With our medicare supplemental insurance plan, there are virtually no claim forms to fill out. (Advertisement)
- Without exaggeration.
- In essence, but not in fact.
- (algebra) Of a substructure of finite index.
- virtually indictable
- (topology) Of a covering space of finite index.
- virtually Haken
virtual +"Ž -ly