- of, pertaining to, or appearing or occurring in, the spring
- springlike; fresh, warm, and mild
- fresh and young; youthful
Origin of vernalClassical Latin vernalis from vernus, belonging to spring from ver, spring from Indo-European base an unverified form wes?, spring from source Sanskrit vasanta, Old Church Slavonic vesna, spring
- Of, relating to, or occurring in the spring.
- Characteristic of or resembling spring.
- Fresh and young; youthful.
Origin of vernalLatin vērnālis from vērnus from vēr spring ; see wes&rlowring; in Indo-European roots.
In everyday speech, used almost exclusively in phrase vernal equinox; in other contexts, spring is used attributively, as in spring colors or spring flowers, and even vernal equinox is frequently replaced with spring equinox.