Vanguard is defined as the leading position in a movement.
An example of vanguard is the front position in a battle.
- the part of an army which goes ahead of the main body; the van
- the leading position or persons in a movement, field of endeavor, etc.
Origin of vanguardMiddle English vaunt garde ; from Old French avant-garde ; from avant, before (see avaunt) + garde (see guard)
- The foremost position in an army or fleet advancing into battle.
- a. The foremost or leading position in a trend or movement.b. Those occupying a foremost position.
Origin of vanguardMiddle English vandgard, from avaunt garde, from Old French : avaunt, before (from Latin abante; see advance) + garde, guard (from garder, to guard; see guard).
- The leading units at the front of an army or fleet.
- (by extension) The person(s) at the forefront of any group or movement.