Vanguard is defined as the leading position in a movement.
An example of vanguard is the front position in a battle.
- the part of an army which goes ahead of the main body; the van
- the leading position or persons in a movement, field of endeavor, etc.
Origin of vanguardMiddle English vaunt garde from Old French avant-garde from avant, before (see avaunt) + garde (see guard)
- The foremost position in an army or fleet advancing into battle.
- a. The foremost or leading position in a trend or movement.b. Those occupying a foremost position.
Origin of vanguardMiddle English vandgard from avaunt garde from Old French avaunt before ( from Latin abante ; see advance . ) garde guard ( from garder to guard ; see guard . )
- The leading units at the front of an army or fleet.
- (by extension) The person(s) at the forefront of any group or movement.